Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
- Use strong keywords: Pick out the most important words/concepts in your research question. Use keywords such as those experts and scholars would use. These are usually nouns
- Avoid terms that can be used in many settings (like effect, impact, develop)
- Use Advanced Search and group keywords by concept: Use OR between synonyms (expands your results); use AND to combine different subjects (narrows your results)
- dental OR teeth OR tooth OR oral
- acid AND batteries
- Search multiple endings of a word: Use asterisk, e.g., econom* for economy, economic, economies
- Search exact phrases: Use double quotes. "coral reef"
- Limit results: Choose publication years, scholarly or peer-reviewed, full text, etc.
- Sort results: Choose most recent first or most relevant first
Historical Abstracts with Full Text
Scholarly article abstracts, includes full text links to JSTOR & other databases, international coverage (except US & Canada), pre-history to present.
History Reference Center
Full text reference and non-fiction books, history journals, documents, biographies, photos, maps, and video.
Collection of 2,000s+ scholarly journals and primary documents in a variety of subjects including history, literature, and science. Note: some titles have an embargo on the most recent year(s). Ask the IRC for details.