Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Two search options
Search Box on IRC homepage (multiple databases simultaneously)
- On search results page refine your search using options on left side:
- Limit to "items from scholarly publications including peer review
- For books: limit to items in the library catalog or book reviews, for ex.
- Consider Subject Terms
- Limit Publication Date
- Specify Language
Individual database searching
- Link to a specific database -- see lists on right
- Use strong keywords: Pick out the most important words/concepts in your research question. Use keywords such as those experts and scholars would use. These are usually nouns
- Avoid terms that can be used in many settings (like effect, impact, develop)
- Use Advanced Search and group keywords by concept: Use OR between synonyms (expands your results); use AND to combine different subjects (narrows your results)
- dental OR teeth OR tooth OR oral
- acid AND batteries
- Search multiple endings of a word: Use asterisk, e.g., econom* for economy, economic, economies
- Search exact phrases: Use double quotes. "coral reef"
- Limit results: Choose publication years, scholarly or peer-reviewed, full text, etc.
- Sort results: Choose most recent first or most relevant first
Math / Computer Science Databases
Annual Review Journals
Annual Reviews has offered comprehensive, timely collections of critical reviews written by leading scientists. Volumes are published each year for 46 focused disciplines within the Biomedical, Life, Physical, and Social Sciences including Economics.
Click on Continue Without Registering
Thousands of peer-reviewed journals and ebooks in the physical, life, health, and social sciences.
McGraw-Hill Encyclopedia of Science & Technology, updated online, includes Yearbook updates, latest Science News headlines, biographies, etc.
Collection of 2,000s+ scholarly journals and primary documents in a variety of subjects including history, literature, and science. Note: some titles have an embargo on the most recent year(s). Ask the IRC for details.
Over 1,250 fully peer-reviewed journals in sciences, technology, medicine, and more.
Wiley Online Library
Scientific, technical, and medical scholarly journals.